The Shyamalan Experiment
Part 1
“The Sixth Sense”
August 6, 1999
** out of ****
Cast: Bruce Willis, Haley Joel Osment, Toni Collette


Yes, this is in chronological order and yes I know M. Night Shyamalan directed two films before this one, but no, I don’t give two shits about them and yes, I will not be reviewing them. If you got money to dish them out for me, be my guest and send them my way. Otherwise, quit your bitching and enjoy my torturing.

The most talked about movie of 1999, other than “The Phantom Menace,” was M. Night Shyamalan’s “The Sixth Sense.” After a lackluster debut in a comedy called “Wide Awake” a year before, he came back with a movie that left people talking. It had everything – ghosts, Bruce Willis, and red doorknobs. Oh, and the twist ending that everyone loves.

But me…

Okay people, now let’s be frank. I saw this movie twice and I didn’t even have to see it in order to guess just what the twist was. Not only has it been such an iconic twist over the past few years, it is completely predictable. I won’t spoil it for anyone, but just look closely. After Bruce’s character gets shot in the first seven minutes or whatever the hell it is, watch the next time when he tries to talk to his wife. Why isn’t she answering back?

This is the part when you call out, “OOH! I KNOW! It’s because he is a *****!”

And right you are, my friends. Bruce Willis has played a dead man at least ten times before this, and three just counting all of the “Die Hard” films that came before “The Sixth Sense.” What was once a man who kicked serious ass stars in a drama that was marketed as a horror film to garner some press.

Yes guys, I don’t care what you say, “The Sixth Sense” is a drama. It isn’t a horror film because nothing scary happens. It is not a suspense film because there is nothing to be suspenseful about. And it is not nearly as smart as everyone believes it is. That includes you too, Shyamalan. Ever since this film was made and you received that Oscar nomination, you think your hot shit and all of your twists work. Stop right now. They don’t. “The Sixth Sense” is to perfection as Amy Winehouse is to sane.

Psychiatrist Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) becomes surprised to see a guest arrive to his house in the middle of the night. The guest is an unwanted patient of his, (Donnie Wahlberg) who shoots Crowe in the chest before pointing the gun to his head. A few months later, it appears that Crowe is alive and well and still seeing children, but can’t bring himself to forget about what he was doing to that patient and how he didn’t help him. He decides that this patient that he welcomes in to assist with helping him will help him get back on track with his life.

The patient’s name is Cole Sear, (Haley Joel Osment) who, with his mom who works two jobs, (Toni Collette) live close away in the city of Philadelphia (which is just across the bridge from me, I’ll have you know (and yes, I’m not proud that Shyamalan shoots his films in Philly either)). Crowe’s problem is that this new patient of his has all of the same problems as Wahlberg’s character had. Cole can see dead people that do not know that they are dead. Crowe is determined to get to the bottom of Cole’s case, even if that means to… watch him star in a play so he can outact a pompous nine year old kid…? Dude, is that the best Shyamalan can do?

One of the biggest problems isn’t within the film itself, but it is within the context of the film. Many people while watching this film will begin to think that Malcolm Crowe is battling his own demons. Yes, he is, but I look at his story in a different way. He is battling his demons AND everyone else’s. He thinks that his wife isn’t talking to him because he is the reason why Donnie Wahlberg broke into his house that night (I wouldn’t blame her, I’d rather have his much more talented brother too). He believes that he can’t help Haley Joel Osment’s character because he has the same problem as Wahlberg’s character, which results to him trying to battle his demons so he can battle Osment’s demons.

And even though I said the word “demons” too many times, not a single demon shows up throughout the entire film. This is because M. Night Shyamalan would rather tell the story instead of showing us a single scare. Normally, I wouldn’t have a problem with that at all, but for a film that is considered to be one of the scariest films ever, well, it just doesn’t cut it. The biggest scare of the film is not the scene when Osment is pulled into a closet by the “bullies,” but when Osment and Toni Collette are sitting in the car and she is apologizing that she missed his play.

“The Sixth Sense” is basically an acting driven movie, and that is the best I can say about it. Even though that the story, the developments, and the twists suck dick, the acting is surprisingly fierce throughout the entire film. Toni Collette is perfect as the hard-working mom just trying to get enough money to support her and Cole. Both her and Osment give enough emotion to keep the acting under control. Bruce Willis does a great job and it is obvious that he did a lot of hard work to prepare for such a role like this, but in the end, it doesn’t work out.

Yes, this is possibly the most overrated film of 1999 and probably one of the most overrated “horror” films ever made. Just the thought that people were actually scared of it makes me even madder. The thought that M. Night Shyamalan thinks that if he could fool you once he can fool you again makes me fuming. You all know what the result of all of that was? So I don’t have to tell you?


Part 2 of The Shyamalan Experiment will be coming either Friday or Saturday: “Unbreakable.”

7 comments

  1. Lou Kije // June 19, 2008 at 7:25 PM  

    Saw your post on Digg.

    You might be interested in participating in the largest walk-out in cinema history against, "The Happening."

    TheNotHappening.com

    Someone's gotta put a stop to Shyamalamadingdong. It might as well be us.

  2. TonyD // June 19, 2008 at 8:13 PM  

    Hey Lou,

    Being that I'm younger than seventeen (just barely, but still), I won't actually be buying a ticket for "The Happening" anyway. It would be more of me buying a ticket for Get Smart and then walking into The Happening.

    I feel your pain and all, but let's face it - studios will keep making shitty movies. It's nothing new. They always have and they always will be. As long as there is one film this summer that is like "Kung Fu Panda" and "Iron Man," there will be a film like "What Happens in Vegas" and "Sex in the City."

    And I'm not even going to begin with how I don't want to see "The Happening," but like many other things in my life, I'm obligated to see it and review it for this wonderful site of mine. I go into every movie with an open mind and low expectations, so if the movie I saw sucks, I wouldn't be that pissed off. And it is better to be pissed off than pissed on, right?

    I get what you're trying to do and all man, but your boycott is just useless. Us film critics and reviewers do it all the time, but we just don't boycott them. Instead, we share our opinions with one another. Because let's face it, everyone has a different taste. Some person might like vanilla ice cream, while someone else might like mint chocolate chip. As long as you have some kind of audience, they should just continue making films. That goes for Uwe Boll, the guys who made "Epic Movie," and even Shyamalan himself.

    One of my friends here once said "If you appreciate the trash, you shouldn't be watching movies in the first place." All I have left to say is true dat.

  3. JD // June 19, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

    Great post, my friend.
    I like The Sixth Sense, but as I remember a couple of weeks later a film called Stir Of Echoes came out and I thought that just as good.
    I do like Bruce WIllis in Sixth Sense, but I like Unbreakable more.

  4. TonyD // June 19, 2008 at 9:17 PM  

    Stir of Echoes is fucking brilliant. Thanks man

  5. Fred [The Wolf] // June 20, 2008 at 1:59 PM  

    Excellent stuff, TD. I agree with everything written here. Who did NOT see the twist coming? Shit, I figured it out from watching the advertisements when they were shown on television! My cousin, who is a year younger than me [26], is scared of this stupid film. I just want to kick him in the testes. Completely overrated, along with THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. At least BLAIR WITCH was kind of creepy and better made. I still think UNBREAKABLE is Shyamalan's best film.

    And I agree about STIR OF ECHOES too. That movie rules.

  6. TonyD // June 20, 2008 at 5:47 PM  

    Damn, man. The Blair Witch Project was the first movie to REALLY get me into movies. My Unbreakable review will be coming shortly.

  7. Unknown // June 24, 2008 at 7:31 AM  

    i think the beauty of the twist in the sixth sense is that it _is_ predictable, if you watch carefully. anyone can come up with a twist that is unpredictable, simply by not giving a single hint about it. i'm talking about the "oh, it all was just a dream" sort of twists. shyamalan takes the well known cinematic solution, let's call it "let the audience fill the gaps", that is usually used to save time, and uses it to trick the audience into thinking that bruce communicates with his environment.

    yes, with this kind of twist it is necessary that there will be some, who will figure it out before the end of the movie. i would call them collateral damage. i, for one, didn't see the twist coming (at the restaurant i thought she's not speaking with him, because she's angry, that he's late), and am very happy about it, because it was a wonderful experience, and i had to watch it a second time, just to find out, how the hell shyamalan did it.

    i would give it three and a half stars out of four, not simply for the twist and the clever editing, but the overall feeling of the film.