Directed by: David Frankel

Written by: Scott Frank and Don Roos

Based on the book by: John Grogan

Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Owen Wilson


Though the book “Marley and Me” has been fairly ubiquitous the last few years (one can’t celebrate a setback in one’s life without someone recommending you give it a read), I have somehow managed to escape reading it. Well that isn’t exactly true, I know how and why I avoided reading it, and it has everything to do with the loss of my lovable, unruly dog. But for me movies about dogs are a lot harder to avoid. This is especially true when the posters for them are simple photos of sad-eyed puppies. I went to see this movie with trepidation not out of the fear that this was a bad movie, but rather because of the fear of the inevitable ending to any movie about dogs.


As far as the quality of the movie, I had nothing to worry about. The script for “Marley” was surprisingly well done with just the right amount of humor. The movie was not too cutesy or too melodramatic. Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston were well cast as the frustrated couple who adopt the unbelievably bad behaved Marley. They had a nice, natural chemistry and managed to keep the dog from completely stealing the spotlight from them. What I most liked about “Marley and Me” was the way that the family dealt with the hardships of life; a little laughter and a lot of understanding. This is a lesson that a lot of people can learn, but I never seem to see in movies or real life. Life is hard, but it doesn’t have to be joyless.


Though the lessons and humor of the story originate in a book, it is the mark of a good adaptation to be able to retain the charm of its original material. The frustration with and love for Marley translates well to film, but I imagine this is likely only true for dog lovers. For those that can not appreciate the humor of losing your couch to the maw of a dog, I doubt this movie will hold much appeal for you. The truth is, in that moment you can yell at your dog. But those with dogs know that over time your love for that animal grows and does not suffer. This is the heart of “Marley and Me.” This is a lesson it captures well. Though not the best movie of the season, it is a solid effort that any dog lover can appreciate.


3 comments

  1. JD // December 28, 2008 at 9:07 PM  

    I never read the book for that reason.
    I really do want to see the film though.
    Excellent review!!

  2. Anonymous // January 4, 2009 at 12:08 AM  

    Marley and Me is money to a great extent because Jennifer Aniston is money; Owen Wilson is... not so much

  3. TonyD // January 4, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

    Uhh... what?