The Moretti House
Year: 2008
Director: Todd Douglas Bailey
Stars: Tobias Motyka, Sarah Sheridan, Matthew Faulisi
Studio: Tizood Productions
MPAA Ratting: Not Rated
Running Time: 81 Mins
Official Website: http://www.myspace.com/morettihouse




The Moretti House is a film, at first glance, makes you think that this a “Blair Witch Project" knockoff, but its not, by no means of the imagination.

The film is about, a director (Tobias Motyka), his girlfriend/ producer (Sarah Sheridan) and cameraman (Mattew Faulisi), who venture to New York, to film a documentary about a house that has been abandoned, since 1929, in hopes of hitting the big time. The project takes a turn for the worst, when they become trapped inside the house. Soon, the filmmakers realize that they’re not alone, as sinister presence begins to torment them. They will soon discover, why the house has been abandoned for so long, as they may be there permanently.

The Moretti House is a dark and creepy, supernatural film Writer/director Todd Douglas Bailey uses a dark and bleak atmosphere, to make this film, very creepy. His direction was very good, as it helped cover up my only complaint of this film, which I’ll talk about, later. I liked, at times that this didn’t feel like a “Blair Witch” ripoff, as it goes from a traditional film, to a camcorder film. Bailey does that back and forth, so it doesn’t seem like that film. Also, there are a few things that made his direction very creepy. First, the film has a very haunting score. The score for the film helped with the film’s tone, as it gives you that feeling that a ghostly presence is haunting the house. Second, the director doesn’t try to force the action and pace to move, at a fast rate. This was done, so that he allows the atmosphere to settle into the story, before all the action takes place. It sets, the film’s tone and allow the viewer to get to know the situation and the characters. Finally, Bailey’s direction of the actors was very good. You can always write great characters, but if the execution is off, in a film like this, then the film is not going to work. The acting here was very good, as I was interested with the main characters, as he has some very talented people, in the lead roles, as this could have gone south, as you had a feeling, what was going to happen to them. The acting here was one of the main reason, why I enjoyed this film, so much.

Bailey’s screenplay wasn’t bad for the most part. He did a very good job keeping my interest with the film’s story, as the material felt the same, as most of these ghost films that feature some sort of camera, in the film. I liked, how he allows the film’s main characters to develop throughout the course of the film. Bailey spends a lot of time on the main characters, as you really get to know them. He does that, by taking his time with their development. The development helps make this very good considering the complaint that I have with this film. Bailey also achieves with the story’s dark and gloomy atmosphere. The atmosphere helps, because it makes you care about these characters.

If there was one problem that I had with this film, it was the fact that the ending was predictable, because half way through the film, you get that sense of the ending. I personally hate that when it happens, but with all the things that I’ve mentioned, this film manages to make you forget about that, because you’re interested in the characters and the acting was so good, in this film.

The Moretti House is a dark and creepy ghost house that has good performances and characters that you care about.


Review Rating: 4 Stars.

1 comments

  1. Truth Seeker // January 4, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

    I am very aware of TZODD's work and I find it to be the best and most fresh of any of the projects I see out there.